Family and Community Health Sciences promotes health and wellness through education, research and collaboration with outreach in food, nutrition, and healthy lifestyles.
Promote Healthy Lifestyles, wellness and chronic disease prevention, and wellness in communities by creating a culture of health.
Our goals and mission are accomplished through community and school outreach programs, wellness workshops, and specialized programing. In addition to our website and social media outlets, publications such as newsletters, fact sheets, and brochures aim to inform and educate our stakeholders. Our programs and publications are available at low or no cost. Some publications are available in Spanish.
Classes are held at Rutgers Cooperative Extension in Cape May Court House as well as various locations around Cape May County.
- NJAES Food and Nutrition Fact Sheets & Bulletins
- Visions: The Family & Community Health Sciences Newsletter
To get more information, sign up for our programs or to receive our free newsletters, call 609-465-5115, ext. 3609.
FCHS outreach focuses on:
- Nutrition and Physical Activity
- Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention
- Worksite Wellness
- School Wellness
- Early Care Education
- Food Safety
- Food Security
Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
The need for kinship care continues in Cape May County and so does the need for services to keep caregivers healthy and well. The Grandparents Raising Grandchildren program continues to welcome new families and expand outreach to encourage a healthy family dynamic for grandparents throughout the County. Call 609-465-5115, ext. 3609 for more information or to be added to our mailing list.
Workshops are offered to the public on a variety of topics throughout the year to encourage better nutrition and fitness programs for families. Programs are available in person or virtually for agencies interested in hosting a presentation or the public can attend a presentation hosted by Rutgers Cooperative Extension.
Virtual Lunch & Learn Series
The virtual Lunch & Learn Series is offered the 4th Thursday of the month to provide viewers with health and wellness information during their lunch hour. Topics vary and allow participants a chance to grab a healthy half hour tidbit of wellness to carry throughout the day. Programs are held each month except for the months of June, November, and December.
Wellness Wednesday Webinars
Wellness Wednesday Webinars with Family and Community Health Sciences focus on a variety of topics related to food, nutrition, and healthy lifestyles. This series will walk you through the easy steps that you can take to add positive health behaviors to your day. Webinars take place Wednesdays at 12:30 p.m. A list of webinars can be found on the NJAES website.
The Junior Chefs program, first developed in 2013, incorporates nutrition education with hands-on food preparation lessons to encourage a lifetime of healthy eating habits. At the end of the program, participants are able to prepare simple and healthy foods for themselves and their family.
School Wellness Outreach
FCHS partners with Cape May County schools to help implement their wellness plans. This includes improving school lunches, initiating youth fitness programs, providing current information on family health, nutrition and wellness.
CMC FCHS News Releases
Articles by Chris Zellers, FCHS Cape May County
- Make Resolutions in 2024 to be Well!
- Incorporating Fruits and Vegetables into Holiday Meals
- Manage Holiday Stress with Movement
- Swim into Seafood Month by Adding Healthy New Jersey Seafood to your Day
- Move to Improve Arthritis Symptoms
- What Exactly is Emotional Wellness?
- Portion Control Tricks for Healthy Living
- Benefits of the Mediterranean Diet
- Start Walking for Better Health
- Step It Up – Making Physical Activity a Priority
- What Exactly is Wellness?
- What Exactly is Physical Wellness?
- Filling up on Healthy Leafy Greens
- Make Goals Not Resolutions for Lasting Health Benefits
- Fitting in Fitness During Hectic Holiday Times
- New Jersey Seafood for Better Overall Health
- Saving Time and Money with Double Duty Meals
- Strength Training as Part of an Active Lifestyle
- Article on the Benefits of Fiber
- Eating Healthy on a Budget
- Walk Your Way to Good Health
- Beans- Low-Cost Versatile Protein
- Understanding Food Label Buzz Words
- A Grain of Knowledge about the Gluten Free Diet
- The DASH Diet for Hypertension
- Setting Goals for a Healthy 2022
- Healthy Holiday Meal Swaps
- Portion Control Tips for the Holidays
- Avoiding Stress Eating Pitfalls During the Holidays
- Seasonal Eating
- ‘Fall’-ing for Jersey Fresh Autumn Treats
- Mindful Meditation for Stress Reduction
- Seafood and Healthy Living
- Pumpkins – More Than a Fall Decoration and Coffee Flavor
- Step It Up-Ways to be More Active
- Benefits of Enjoying Jersey Tomatoes
- A Grain of Knowledge about the Gluten Free Diet
- Meatless Meals Offer Health Benefits and Tasty Options
- Sugar – How Sweet It Is
- Avoiding Stress Eating in a Stressful Time
Learn More About FCHS Programs in Cape May County
Call our office at:
609-465-5115, ext. 3603
Chris Zellers, Family and Community Health Science Educator/Assistant Professor
Rutgers Cooperative Extension of Cape May County
355 Court House-South Dennis Road
CMCH, NJ 08210